- 12 noon
- Welcome reception and light lunch
- Hermann Union Building (HUB),
lower level, Armour Dining Room
- 1:30 pm
- Campus Tour
- Leaves from IITRI Tower
- Department Update
- Will include a tribute to Professor Maurice (Jerry) Frank, retiring this spring after 30 years of service to IIT.
- Engineering 1, 10 W. 32nd St., Room 242
- 4 pm
- Pre-lecture reception: "Memories of Menger"
- Wishnick Hall, 3255 S. Dearborn, Room 119
- 4 :30 pm
- Lecture: "Menger, Games, and Morals" delivered by Karl Sigmund, University of Vienna
- A member of the Austrian Academy of Science, Professor Sigmund is an internationally known mathematician and a pioneer of evolutionary game dynamics. In recent years, he has been interested in the history of mathematics, especially the Vienna Circle. Professor Sigmund has co-edited the works of Karl Menger.
- Wishnick Hall Auditorium, 3255 S. Dearborn, Room 113
- Presentation of the IIT Karl Menger Award for exceptional scholarship by a student
On Wednesday, April 11, 2007, Karl Sigmund will meet students at IIT.
- 12:50pm - 1:40pm
- Lunch with the Math Club
- Lecture: "The Rock Paper Scissors Game for Adult Players"
- E1 Room 121
- 4:30 pm
- Lecture: "How to Have a Successful Career as a Mathematician"
- A talk for graduate students
- E1 Room 244
Campus Maps (including a Parking Map), Directions to IIT, and Transportation
Discounted Hotels for IIT visitors (Best Westerns are the best bet, followed by the Hyatt Regency McCormick), or
try Club Quarters (we've been told $129/night; tell them you are with "Illinois Institute of Technology")
|In the Fall 2006 Newsletter, we requested students of Karl Menger to share their memories. Here are some that we received:
John W. Neuberger
George R. Marousek
To add your memories to this list, email newsletter AT math DOT iit.edu or call 312.567.5344.